Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Jehova Jira

So. Another night in Jerusalem. Jerusalem is a pretty rough town. It has really become a place where everyone just exploits everyone else. There is a Christian Quarter, Muslim Quarter, Jewish Quarter, and Armenian (sect of Christianity) Quarter...where people of different faiths live...because they would kill each other if they lived next to each other. (they still kill each other). If a Muslim sells anything to a Jew...the other Muslims will kill the one selling his goods. It is ... out of this world. The unrest...exploitation...and lack of compassion in this city. And oh! to be an American in Jerusalem...ha...the shop owners ... just think they can jack up the price three-fold! It's just ... exploitation of everyone. And so this is the place that Jesus the Christ overturned the tables ... because they had turned the Temple into a money-changing exploiting place. So it remains today...only...in all of Jerusalem.

But yes...for as rough as the city is...God Provides. In the hostel... God caused me to meet Wiehan (Viann) ... who is a Believer. I would say he is a Christian...but Christian here does not mean the same thing as it does back home. Christians here are the ones outside now ... exploiting even each other...and the same ones who persecute the Armenians and Muslims and Jews...for not being Christian. But yes... I am convinced there are very few Believers in the Way of Jesus in Israel. But God caused me to meet Wiehan ... who is from South Africa...and he is just ... a blessing. He is 25 ... never backpacked around really before...had got to scary, rough Jerusalem a day before we met... and has 3 months in Israel. So now... me and Wiehan will just travel around together ... living and seeking God's heart... in Israel...and loving on people the whole way along it seems.

So Prasie God, eh! (Wiehan says eh quite a bit). But yes really. Today we had tea and sat and had a Bible study and prayed over our families and Jerusalem. Oh Praise God.

So...we waded through Hezekiah's tunnel today (you should read the story about it in the Bible)...we went to the Mt. of Olives...the Tomb of the Prophets (Malachai and Haggai)...we went (drumroll)...to the Israel museum... and saw the Dead Sea Scrolls. Which is amazing. Just amazing. ... oh ... so crazy!!

We also stopped and got some food to cook tonight. In keeping with traveling, we had pita with humus and some Israeli olives ... and cheese and bread... such good cheese here.

Ha. Oh I don't even know why I doubt God. How he always provides...just when you are willing to say you need Him.


I miss you all but am keeping you in prayer.


Todah Yeshua (Thank you Jesus)
- eli



ps - i must get off now because tomorrow we are going to go to the Dead Sea ... (we found a place that has some waterfalls and a beach) ... but we must figure out how to get there first.

3 comments:

Steven D said...

Eli i am so excited to hear that!!!

Mike said...

Eli - glad to hear you arrive okay and are managing your way around. Be sure to eat lots of Falafel ... I spent most of my time in Kiryat Shemona the year I was there. But I traveled around a lot as well - to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, the Dead Sea, the Sinai (I was there in 1971-1972), the Galilee, Zafad, and more ... enjoy and be safe. Much love ... dad

Miles said...

Wow man it is so awesome to hear about your trip and that you found a companion and that all is well. I've told most of my friends about you and your travels and, while most think you are crazy, they are completely dumbfounded at your boldness and trust!! You are affecting people around the globe with your trip!!!! Anyway, have an awesome time and when you get back we can set aside a few days and you can go into a full, all-out narative like they used to when they told stories!! I'm already pumped about hearing it!!!

Be intentional,
Miles